Contrary to widespread reports, GP surgeries have remained open throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. Official NHS data confirms that more GP appointments are being offered than ever before, and GP teams continue to provide over 90 percent of all NHS consultations.
Practices were already struggling prior to the pandemic and are now facing near-impossible challenges in the face of a “tsunami of demand”.
Attendees at this briefing heard from frontline GPs who described:
- The causes of rising demand on our services
- The increasing cases of burnout amongst GPs
- The damaging effects of unproven bureaucratic interventions
- Consequences of the demoralising, harmful narratives against our profession
- Proposed solutions to our challenges
- How you can help us help our patients